Monday, March 8, 2010

82nd Annual Academy Awards - Random Thoughts

Much like I did when I posted a list of the Top 25 Movies of the Decade, back on December 31, 2009, simply because I have a blog that revolves around film and not because it had anything to do with the '1001' book, I figured I'd go ahead and do the same thing with the 82nd OSCARS. Here are some random thoughts, eventhough I'm far from seeing all the films that were nominated tonight...

BEST ACTOR - JEFF BRIDGES

There was a time when I called Jeff Bridges my favorite actor, hands down. Nowadays, whenever anyone asks me who my favorite actor is, I still cite Jeff Bridges as one of them. I was always proud of that choice, because I knew that Bridges was a fantastic actor, despite never being given any real acclaim for it. Tonight, Jeff took home the little gold man for "Crazy Heart", a film I've yet to see, but one that I'm dying to. I teared up a little when Bridges came up to accept his award. He looked so flattered and so happy to be standing on that stage.

TRIBUTES

One of my favorite parts of the OSCARS is always the tributes, most notably of the movie associated people who've passed away in the last year. I also quite enjoyed the John Hughes tribute, as I'm a big fan of Hughes and seeing guys like Judd Nelson and Anthony Michael Hall on the OSCAR stage was fun. The tribute to horror films was also cool, and probably the only time we'll see/hear "Leprechaun" mentioned by the Academy.

CHRISTOPH WALTZ

Having only seen two of the Best Actor in a Supporting Role Nominees (Stanley Tucci and Christoph Waltz), my hat was still solely behind Waltz, as he delivered a standout performance in "Inglorious Basterds" and deserved some sort of recognition for it, and an OSCAR was a great way to give that recognition.

KATHRYN BIGELOW and THE HURT LOCKER

I really can't comment on "The Hurt Locker" or the merits of Bigelow as a director, since I haven't seen the film or any of her films for that matter (except for "Near Dark" and that was ages ago). I will say that I saw four of the movies that were nominated tonight, for Best Picture: A Serious Man, Inglorious Basterds, District 9 and Up...and from those four I would've picked "District 9", but again, I really have no business talking about it, since I've still yet to see six of the nominees. I will say this though...for being fifty-eight years of age, Kathryn Bigelow is still very attractive!

It must be very exciting for Kathryn Bigelow right about now and I hope she takes a moment and realizes that she's now part of an illustrious group of filmmakers, the likes of which include: Frank Capra, John Ford, Billy Wilder, Michael Curtiz, Elia Kazan, David Lean, Leo McCarey, William Wyler, George Cukor, Mike Nichols, Francis Ford Coppola, Woody Allen, Oliver Stone, Bernardo Bertolucci, Clint Eastwood, Steven Spielberg, Roman Polanski, Martin Scorsese and The Coen Brothers.
March 8, 2010 12:24am

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad Bigelow won; the film is realistic and well directed.

    That opening number was painful to watch. And I'm so glad they didn't perform the nominated songs.

    ReplyDelete

Sins of Omission - Entry #94: ZODIAC (2007)

Running Time: 157 minutes Directed By: David Fincher  Written By: James Vanderbilt, based on the book by Robert Graysmith Main Cast : Jake...