Sunday, March 14, 2010

If anyone is reading...I need your opinions

Ok guys, so here's the deal. While I've been on my hiatus from the "1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die" project, I've been thinking of switching things up a bit, as far as the order in which I watch the movies in goes. I've had two ideas and I'm leaning more toward one at this point, but I just can't decide which one to go with, or if I should just stick to the way I've been doing things. Here are the two ideas:

IDEA #1: Instead of continuing to go through the book chronologically, and thus continue on through the 1940s, I've been thinking of going in reverse, starting with the last entry in the book. The book ends with Atonement (2007), meaning I would start there and work my way backwards for a little while. Then whenever I felt like it, maybe after I finished the 2000s and the 1990s, I'd jump back to the 1940s and start going forward again, until I met in the middle.

IDEA #2: Instead of continuing to forwards or beginning to go backwards, I had the idea to go in a themed order. The idea is basically this: I would pick a theme, for example; Alfred Hitchcock movies. From there I'd pick ten random Hitchcock movies from the book and watch them. Then I'd pick another theme, say German films, then I'd watch ten German films. I'd keep doing that, never watching more than ten films from each category.

Why do I want to switch things up? Well I'm tired of restricting myself as far as what I can watch. If I continue to move chronologically through the book, then I DO NOT want to watch anything that comes up later on in the book. For example: I bought the movie "Run Lola Run" the other day on Blu-Ray. I was all set and ready to watch it and then I realized that it's in the "1001" book. Basically I'm a very anal retentive person when it comes to things like this and if I go in order, then I don't want to break from that order. So I figure, if I decide to go in a themed or backwards order, then that will give me a little lead way as far as what I can watch.

Anyway, if anyone out there cares enough to voice their opinions, please do so, as I just can't seem to make up my mind.

March 14, 2010 8:42am

4 comments:

  1. Well it's up to you but I kind of think it's neat you are going in order because you can see the history of cinema unfold that way.

    Theme ideas would not be a bad idea. That is actually how I tend to watch film: by director, actor, genre, movement etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why not go in any order you wish - as long as the movie in on the 1001 list? That gives you maximum flexibility and cuts down on your boredom factor. Just choose whatever 1001 movie strikes your fancy and write about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there.. I have only just found this question. I'd already (by the list of films) worked out you were operating like that.
    The 'in chronological order' at first sounds fun... see the cinema develop, but..I don't know.. it feels a bit restrictive to me. It certainly leads to overdose of things like early soviet stuff (as you now know!)
    It also rather reminds me (sorry!) of a character in 'Hitch-hikers guide to the galaxy' (Did that make it big in the USA?) where some poor soul commits to spending his imortality to insulting every sentinant being in the universe, one by one. But then.... doing so in alphabetical order...
    I'm afraid I leave them to chance. What 'Love film' send me, what I discover on TV, what I find going cheap in charity shops. Suits me.. but yours suits you, so why worry??
    Enjoy! (Or not in several cases, but learn instead)
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sometimes slightly regret switching from chronological to random, but not that much. It was fun watching everything unfold and seeing the rise of such stars as Cagney, Stewart, Rogers, Astaire, etc. However, going in random order had been a lot of fun and I'm ultimately glad I chose to go that route.

    ReplyDelete

Sins of Omission - Entry #94: ZODIAC (2007)

Running Time: 157 minutes Directed By: David Fincher  Written By: James Vanderbilt, based on the book by Robert Graysmith Main Cast : Jake...