Monday, March 15, 2010

Themes It Shall Be!

So I've listened to the few people that have stopped by to give their opinions (thank you, by the way) and I've taken into account my own feelings and what I want to do, and I think we're going to go ahead and do the themes idea. I actually think this will be a lot of fun, trying to break down the remaining eight hundred and some movies into categories of ten films or so. Anyway, here are the ground rules, they're pretty simple:

A) Each theme must consist of at least five films, and may not contain more then ten films. I'd like to keep them all at ten, but there are some themes too good to pass up (Kubrick films, for instance) that don't have ten.

B) Themes can range anywhere from movies by the same director, actor, actress, writer, genre, certain like award winners (ie. Best Picture winners), basically anything that ties 5-10 movies together, can be used as a category.

I'm cutting my hiatus a little bit short and we're going to go ahead and get going on this, more than likely tomorrow. The first theme will be...

...INGMAR BERGMAN FILMS!

Here are the Bergman films that are on the list:
*Smiles of a Summer Night
*The Seventh Seal

*Wild Strawberries
*Hour of the Wolf
*Persona
*Fanny and Alexander
*Winter Light
*Cries and Whispers
*Through a Glass Darkly

That makes our first category nine films. "Shame" would be included, but I can't find it anywhere, so we'll just go with these. These are the only ten Bergman films in the "1001" book.

Here is a list of some more themes, that will be coming up in the weeks and months to come, in no particular order:
*Robert De Niro Movies
*French Films
*Horror Films
*Film Noir
*Best Picture Winners
*Stanley Kubrick Films
*Newman & Redford
*Box Office Blockbusters

March 15, 2010 12:51am

2 comments:

  1. What happened to the Bergman season?
    (coming late to your site, I'm afraid I havn't fully followed your changes of tactics).
    I love Brgman films, and no, I do not find them depressing. 'Independance day' and other mass produced, formular written junk is much more depressing.
    Here is not the place to discuss that contentious statement I guess. Very happy to enter into individual discussions
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bergman season will be coming. The tactic I've adopted now is to feature a new director each month and give them one or two weeks out of the month, where I watch all of their films from the book. Hitchcock got the entire month of October simply because there were 14 films remaining of his that I needed to see. So look out for Bergman season...although I've already chosen the featured director's for November and December and no Bergman yet. I'd like to save him, because "Scenes from a Marriage" which I saw last August, right before I started the book, has quickly become a favorite film of mine...so I'm looking forward to more Bergman, a director that I haven't seen a lot from.

    ReplyDelete

Sins of Omission - Entry #94: ZODIAC (2007)

Running Time: 157 minutes Directed By: David Fincher  Written By: James Vanderbilt, based on the book by Robert Graysmith Main Cast : Jake...