Monday, September 20, 2010

277. La strada/The Road (1954)

Running Time: 109 minutes
Directed By: Federico Fellini
Written By: Federico Fellini, Tullio Pinelli
Main Cast: Anthony Quinn, Giulietta Masina, Richard Basehart

ON MY JOURNEY I MET A MAN NAMED 'FELLINI'

Note: I couldn't find a trailer for "La strada", but I'm going to keep with my revised style of review. Enjoy!

The first thing that I'm going to have to realize when viewing Federico Fellini's films', is that he's just a filmmaker and that while his films are regarded as some of the best films ever made, he is simply a filmmaker. I didn't think "La strada" was terrible, in fact I liked it, but I think I would've enjoyed it much more if I didn't have this predetermined image of Fellini in my head that says "This man is the greatest and if you're going to be a film fan, then you MUST love his films." Don't worry, it will eventually work out and I'm sure I'll ultimately settle into his movies.

If I had to pick a favorite element of "La strada", I'd have to say that hands down the character development was off the charts. These were real life characters and as a viewer, I really cared what happened to him, no matter how much I liked or disliked the film itself. They were so complex and fleshed out that you really couldn't help but care about them. Zampano was the most complex, and Anthony Quinn did an amazing job portraying him. This is a character that seemed to have constant thoughts swirling through his head, despite his brute and gruff exterior. Giulietta Masina was slightly annoying as Gelsomina, the strongman Zampano's assistant. However, despite her annoying persona, this is a character that undergoes a transformation during the course of the film, starting out as an innocent, simple minded girl, just glad to be getting the opportunity to see the world and eventually developing thoughts of suicide. My favorite character would have to be "The Fool" Il Matto, who's speech on the meaning of life and how EVERYTHING (including the tiniest of pebbles) has meaning in this world, really touched me and was the turning point in the film for me. I loved the line that is delivered by Il Matto, where he compares Zampano to a dog that wants to speak, but can only bark. The ending was great, although tragic and Hollywood could take a note or two, that films don't always have to have happy endings. Sometimes just the sight of a brute man, weeping on the beach is enough, especially when a scene where there is no dialogue says so much.

I like to think that movies are great, unique, unfeasible, tragic or joyous tales that are just yearning to be told. When a movie isn't good, then it's because the story didn't have the elements to make it a "must-be-told" story and didn't deserve to have a film made about it. On the other hand, when a film is really good, it's because the tale was so fabulous and amazing that it scored big time, either on a personal level or to a mass audience. If that is true, then this is a tale that must be told, as it chronicles the journey that Gelsomina was put on when she was plucked from her poverty stricken home and taken on the road with the strongman Zampano and pushed into the public eye, bringing joy and laughter to the world as a clown. That is a great story, and can compare to any underdog story, because who knew that poor Gelsomina could make it so far in the world and touch two lives so deeply.

Maybe that last paragraph didn't make any sense or maybe it did, I don't know. But I'm sticking with it, because it sounds pretty good to me.

RATING: 6/10 Not a great movie, but not a bad one either and it makes me anxious to see more Fellini.

MOVIES WATCHED: 147
MOVIES LEFT TO WATCH: 854

September 20, 2010 4:00pm

4 comments:

  1. It's been a few years since I saw this, but it's one of my favorites.

    Masina is even better in Nights Of Cabiria. I look forward to what you think of that film and Juliet Of The Spirits, which I didn't really care for.

    The last paragraph did make some sense, except that a story isn't a necessary element to make a film. Amarcord really doesn't have a story, but you'll never forget the giant head of Mussolini.

    See Satyricon or Casanova. That will get rid of any hero worship that still might be lingering from Fellini's reputation and distorting your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Raven. Your comments are always very informative and intelligent and seem so well thought out, although I picture you writing them with ease, just typing away on a subject that you obviously love. By the way, what do you think of the new review format? Better or worse?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What can I say...sometimes they come right out and other times it's tough.

    Looking back over several of your reviews I would say that a trailer isn't what you want to show. A trailer is really only worth showing if you intend to contrast it with the actual film. I gather that you want to jump over the hype.

    I think you need only as much plot summary as is necessary for somebody to understand your comments on the film.

    For example, Repulsion: Woman goes crazy in her apartment and director Roman Polanski takes us right along with her.

    Then make your comments.

    If somebody wants a complete synopsis, then assuming the film isn't too obscure, they can go to IMDB or Wikipedia. We want to hear what you have to say.

    I'm going to shut up now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I apologise for butting in. You asked a specific person to comment, so perhaps it's not my place to add... but..
    I'm afraid I agree with Raven that your plot summery needn't be so full. I think most people reading your reviews will already know the film. Certainly anyone entering your site will have the book, and have in all probability read the page.
    Sorry, but to be honest, I often don't read your summery, going just to the comments.
    I hate makining critical comments when someone is doing something I cannot/will not do, this is your site, you should do it your way, but if I can ask you to see this as a suggestion..
    Reduce the summery to something as Raven says, saves you time and/or gives you more space to make comments with which we can agree/argue over.
    Ray

    ReplyDelete

Sins of Omission - Entry #94: ZODIAC (2007)

Running Time: 157 minutes Directed By: David Fincher  Written By: James Vanderbilt, based on the book by Robert Graysmith Main Cast : Jake...