Sunday, September 26, 2010

400. 8 1/2 (1963)

Running Time: 143 minutes
Directed By: Federico Fellini
Written By: Federico Fellini, Ennio Flaiano, Tullio Pinelli, Brunello Rondi
Main Cast: Marcello Mastroianni, Anouk Aimee, Rossella Falk, Sandra Milo, Claudia Cardinale

FELLINI WEEK: 4 of 7

I do believe I had mentioned before that I saw "8 1/2" one other time, years ago and was less than impressed with it. In fact, on my previous viewing of "8 1/2" I downright hated it. This time, however, was different. I went into this picture really wanting to like it and in the end I really did. I didn't love it and still have a bit of a head scratching moment when people refer to it as "the greatest movie ever made", but at least I get their praise, instead of being completely ignorant to it.

"8 1/2" is about a film director, Guido Anselmi (Mastroianni) who is having a very difficult time getting the ideas for his latest picture in order. The picture is about his life, his loves, his escapades. To tell you the truth, this is actually a really hard movie to describe in words. It's something that you really have to experience for yourself. The book puts it well by saying, and I quote: "The story about the anguish of a director having to make a film, about an artist having to make a work, about a man having to deal with women, about a human having to face life and death". I think that statement (or series of statements) really fits "8 1/2", as the movie isn't only about a movie director trying to get his film made, but it's about a man struggling with his own life and more specifically, the loves of his life.

I'm not sure what I didn't like about "8 1/2" on the first viewing, but I can only talk about what I loved during this viewing. There's so much symbolism in the movie, and while I didn't fully understand it all, I was so intrigued and so interested and can't wait to do a little research and rewatch the film. I have high hopes that this will be a movie that grows on me, and I almost feel like I've gotten my boy scout merit badge in film appreciation, because now I think I'm finally getting the hubbub of "8 1/2".

SPOILER ALERT!

The ending was beautiful. The only thing that I could possibly compare it to is the scene in "Big Fish" where Billy Crudup is carrying his father down the riverbank and all of the people from his father's life are there to bid him a final farewell. I think this is a scene much like that. I interpret Guido under the table with the gun, as a sort of career suicide, where he has finally pulled the trigger on the creative side of himself and all of the characters of his life are coming back for one last celebration, complete with dancing and clowns playing instruments. There are so many interpretations that could be made about this film though and I could be totally wrong in my interpretation. But that's the beautiful thing about "8 1/2" is that it's a movie that is NOT straight forward and each and everyone who views it can make their own personal interpretations. I think the film forces all of us who watch it to also examine are own lives and think about all of the "characters" that shaped our life and made us the person that we are today. Oh yes...one more very deep thought: How gorgeous was Claudia Cardinale?

RATING: 6.5/10 It's still gonna' take a possible rewatch or two, but don't let the '6.5' fool 'ya, if you haven't seen "8 1/2" take a look at it, it may very well turn into your favorite movie, as it has that quality about it. While it's not my favorite, I can see why some people cite it as theirs.

MOVIES WATCHED: 152
MOVIES LEFT TO WATCH: 849

September 26, 2010 11:54am

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sins of Omission - Entry #94: ZODIAC (2007)

Running Time: 157 minutes Directed By: David Fincher  Written By: James Vanderbilt, based on the book by Robert Graysmith Main Cast : Jake...