Monday, October 10, 2011

721. The Breakfast Club (1985)

Running Time: 92 minutes
Directed By: John Hughes
Written By: John Hughes
Main Cast: Judd Nelson, Molly Ringwald, Emilio Estevez, Anthony Michael Hall, Ally Sheedy

ON MY JOURNEY I MET A PACK OF BRATS

Well I've returned to the blog, from yet another hiatus, but we won't dwell on that too much, but instead just jump right into the thick of things. It has become the standard for me to watch a familiar film when I return from hiatus, so I marched to my DVD shelf and plucked off "The Breakfast Club".

The plot is fairly simply, so it shouldn't take long to recount it here. Five teenagers are sentenced to spend a precious Saturday in detention. The "prisoners" are a wide range of personalities, including John Bender (Nelson) - the rebel, Claire (Ringwald) - the prom queen, Andrew Clark (Estevez) - the athlete, Brian Johnson (Hall) - the brain and Allison (Sheedy) - the basket case. They are presided over by teacher Richard Vernon (Paul Gleason), a hard-nosed man, very qualified to be the detention enforcer. At the beginning of the day they're given the assignment of writing a paper on "who they think they are", but it's pretty much blown off, as the five engage in various arguments and discussions about school life, home life and sex. As the film progresses, the group becomes closer, as they wage a war of words with one another and the reasons for their detention sentences become clear.

SPOILER ALERT!

I can still remember it like it was yesterday - my brother raving about this movie called "The Breakfast Club" and insisting that I see it. As I've mentioned in the past on this here blog, most of the movies that would go on to be my all-time favorites were initially shown to me by my big brother. This one is no exception and from the first time I saw it, I fell in love with it. Watching it for, what seems like the 100th time, again last night made me realize something very important about my own tastes in films and how they're changing big time as I become an adult. When I was younger, my favorite part of "The Breakfast Club" was always the first half. That's the more jovial half, the half that is packed with the most comedy and the half, that as a young person, you can have more fun with. When I was younger, I remember always dreading the second half, because while it was still good, it got more serious and was more dialogue driven and as a youngster, that wasn't my cup of tea. However, last night, when re-watching, I enjoyed the second half much more than the first half and that's the part that now really hammers this film home as a true classic. As John Bender, my favorite member of "the club", sits on the floor with his four cohorts and the five sound off, arguing and sympathizing with one another and realizing that they have much more in common than they initially thought.

Sure, if you want, you can nitpick the hell out of the movie. Personally I think it takes off way too fast. It seems like no more do the beginning credits end and we're right into the thick of things, focused in on the library, where we'll spend the next ninety minutes with this group. The ending also gets a little hokey and almost silly, as John & Claire and Andrew & Allison seemingly become a pair of couples and the groundwork for those relationships really isn't established at all. In fact, Bender and Claire are at each others throats BIG TIME at one point, delivering these lines...

John Bender: Don't you ever talk about my friends. You don't know any of my friends. You don't look at any of my friends. And you certainly wouldn't condescend to speak to any of my friends. So you just stick to the things you know: shopping, nail polish, your father's BMW, and your poor, rich drunk mother in the Caribbean.
Claire Standish:
SHUT UP!

John Bender: And as far as being concerned about what's gonna happen when you and I walk down the hallways of school together, you can forget it cuz it's never gonna happen. Just bury your head in the sand and wait for your fuckin' prom.
Claire Standish:
[Crying] I hate you!

John Bender:
Yeah? Good!


....and the next minute, she's sneaking into a broom closet, that Vernon locks Bender into and making a move on him. There's never any explanation as to why these two would want to even be around each other at the end of their detention day. I guess, if we stretch it, we can surmise that maybe the reason that they were at such odds, is because they had a little thing for one another, but that's probably reading far too into the whole thing. And really, these are just "nitpicky" things. The film is absolutely brilliant and if you haven't seen it, then you have a treat to look forward to someday. It's a film that I can't imagine anyone not liking, at least a little bit.

The personalities are ones that we all knew when each of us went to school. We all knew people who were represented by someone in this film - I know I did. So it's a film that is really easy to relate to, even if you don't necessarily fit into one of the five categories of teenager on display. It's also an extremely quotable film, with a truckload of memorable scenes and dialogue exchanges and as the cherry on top, it has a pretty kick ass 80s soundtrack.

RATING: 8.5/10 I may be undercutting this one, just a hair, but if I am I'll rectify it at the end of the month, during recap time. Sorry if the review was a little rusty, it's my first one in a couple of months. They'll get better.

MOVIES WATCHED: 329
MOVIES LEFT TO WATCH:
672

October 10, 2011 6:39pm

3 comments:

  1. Cool review, bro. I don't think you're rusty in the least. And most of the movies on your favorites list were shown to you by ME?! It's an honor to be mentioned here, bro. As I've said time and again, this blog is awesome and it was a main inspiration for my new one.

    I love "The Breakfast Club". Though today's social cliques may have members that look a little different, this film examines a high school state of affairs that will probably always ring true. I think that makes it a bit of a timeless classic, in my humble opinion.

    Nice stuff, bro. Keep 'em comin'! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back movie man,

    One to 'agree to differ' on I'm afraid.. But I fully acknowledge that is my fault .. I'm getting too much a grumpy old man to be wowed by mouthy teens. It worries me.... , No, seriously.. I'm getting too old. Up there with Ferris bueller's day off.. heck, I'm sideing with the authority figures. FB is an obnoxious little s*** to me.. and that is a sad thing to have to face.
    Hey, during your break.. I tried entering a coupkle of commemts on past reviews.. and when I clicked 'send', everything just vanished... Let me see if that happens to this.
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ray - Hmmm I did get some of your comments while I was on break, but not sure what would have happened to the others. Nonetheless, this one appeared and I'm glad to see you back as well. Maybe soon we'll find something to agree on.

    LD - Yes, most of the movies that would go on to be some of my favorites were shown to me by you. "Pulp Fiction", "Seven", "The Shawshank Redemption", etc. We'll have to see how those three and others stack up when they're rewatched and reviewed for this blog.

    Thanks for the comments guys!

    ReplyDelete

Sins of Omission - Entry #94: ZODIAC (2007)

Running Time: 157 minutes Directed By: David Fincher  Written By: James Vanderbilt, based on the book by Robert Graysmith Main Cast : Jake...