Monday, January 2, 2012

394. Vivre sa vie: film en douze tableaux/My Life to Live (1963)

Running Time: 80 minutes
Directed By: Jean-Luc Godard
Written By: Jean-Luc Godard, from book by Marcel Sacotte
Main Cast: Anna Karina, Sady Rebbot, Andre S. Labarthe, Guylaine Schlumberger, Monique Messine
Click here to view the trailer

GODARD WEEK: PART TWO

Next up in my "Godard Week" festivities, I come to "My Life to Live" - a concise film, that walks the line between reality and poetry and one that I enjoyed very much.

When the film opens, our heroine Nana (Karina) is sitting, with her back to us, in a coffee shop and arguing with her husband, Paul (Labarthe), who also has his back to us. We come to the realization that Nana is a selfish woman, as she is trying to rationalize leaving her husband and son, to become an actress. They quarrel and as their quarrel continues, we also realize that Nana is very stubborn. As the scene ends, Nana puts a stop to the argument and offers Paul a game of pinball. The story follows in twelve chapters or "tableaux's" as Godard calls them. At first Nana is broke, asking anyone she's acquainted with if they'll lend her 2,000 francs. Ultimately, Nana inadvertently stumbles into prostitution, when a man mistakes her for a hooker and Nana doesn't correct him. Several days later she encounters an old friend, Yvette (Schlumberger), who introduces her to Raoul (Rebbot), a pimp. Raoul is nice enough and has a very business like approach to the world of prostitution, explaining everything to Nana as if it were down to a science. Once Nana is submerged in the world of prostitution, she begins to question her happiness in life as the film continues and eventually winds to a close.

Above, I wrote that the film walks the line between reality and poetry, but what does that really mean? Well, what I meant by it is that if it wasn't for the very poetic and artistic points of this film, it was actually very reality based. You had a very realistic character in Nana, a woman who couldn't quite get a grasp on her own life. She struggled to be content and she even struggled to try and understand what would make her content. In the beginning, she breaks things off with her husband, almost out of spite, so that she can show him that she can make it as an actress, even if it means being homeless and penniless. She's a martyr - she'll forge on, proving that she can be independent, despite the personal risk involved. Eventually, she is forced to turn to prostitution, just to earn a living, but do you ever really feel sorry for this girl? I think we're supposed to, but I'm not so sure that I did. I perceived her as a thick-headed, very selfish character, who deserved whatever she got. Sure, there were times where I felt for her, but ultimately, I don't think she deserved my sympathies.

Again, much like with "Breathless", there was something here that, even when I was TRYING and thinking that I was enjoying this, was pushing me away. There was something prohibiting me from enjoying it to the maximum capacity. Maybe it was, again, some of the editing choices. For the most part, I really did enjoy "My Life to Live", but there were a few choice scenes that didn't click with me. For instance, the scene where Nana speaks with the older gentlemen (Brice Parain) about silence, lies and what words to use. It's a scene that starts out very good, but wears out it's welcome quick. And what was with the silent characteristic that the film took on near the end, when Nana is in a room with "the young man" and he's reading Poe to her. Even the reading of Poe drove this film from a reality based affair, to a more artsy based affair. It's things like that, that I could have lived without.

However, I really did enjoy the film. I was captivated by the character of Nana and how expertly she was played by Anna Karina. I didn't always side with her or sympathize with her, but I was constantly drawn to her and almost seduced by her. For the most part, the film DOES stray from your typical art-house film (except in the few area I outlined above and a couple of others) and does tell us a very straight-forward story about a girl's voluntary entrance into the world of prostitution. The camera-work was sublime and coupled with the subject matter, reminded me of something we'd see from Jim Jarmusch, although I wonder if Jarmusch was even inspired by Godard. As it stands, I'd probably have to say that I enjoyed this one more than "Breathless" and while I say this a lot, I have a strong feeling "My Life to Live" is only going to grow stronger on me.

RATING: 8.5/10 I gotta' tell you I didn't have the highest of hopes for Godard and his films, but right now he's 2-0 and I can't help but look forward to "Contempt".

MOVIES WATCHED: 383
MOVIES LEFT TO WATCH: 618

January 2, 2012 2:06am

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sins of Omission - Entry #94: ZODIAC (2007)

Running Time: 157 minutes Directed By: David Fincher  Written By: James Vanderbilt, based on the book by Robert Graysmith Main Cast : Jake...