Saturday, January 14, 2012

428. Il Vangelo secondo Matteo/The Gospel According to St. Matthew (1964)

Running Time: 137 minutes
Directed By: Pier Paolo Pasolini
Written By: Pier Paolo Pasolini
Main Cast: Enrique Irazoqui, Otello Sestili, Margherita Caruso, Marcello Morante, Mario Socrate

I'M A BELIEVER

With only four films left to go before I reach my short-term goal of 400 movies watched, I revisit Pier Paolo Pasolini (director of "Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom") and one of his earlier works, "The Gospel According to St. Matthew".

I think most of us are familiar with the story of Jesus Christ, so I'll try my best to keep this plot summary short. "The Gospel According to St. Matthew" retells the story of Jesus' life, as it was written in the Gospel of Matthew, in the New Testament of the Bible. The film recounts Jesus' birth, Joseph's three visions of the angel, the baptism of Jesus, the Sermon on the Mount, the miracles that Jesus performed, the faith that Jesus possessed and of course, the crucifixion. The film casts "no name" actors in the parts, including that of Jesus. The film uses the music of Bach and Mozart, as well as some southern sounding music to intensify certain events.

You know, first things first, you really have to give credit to Pier Paolo Pasolini, a known atheist, who was commissioned by Pope John XXIII to make this film. When he read all four of the gospels in the bible, he is quoted as saying that at that time, all other ideas he had were expelled from his head. I guess when I think of the word "atheist", I think of a very harsh word. In my mind, that word is almost like a curse word, because I have always been a believer and in my head it was a "with us or against us" attitude. But maybe there are atheists who would really like to believe, but just can't bring themselves to. During a press conference in 1966, Pasolini was asked why he'd make a film about the life of Jesus, if he himself was a non-believer. His response:

"If you know that I am an unbeliever, then you know me better than I do myself. I may be an unbeliever, but I am an unbeliever who has a nostalgia for a belief."

To me, that's a man who wants to believe but, for some reason or another, cannot. Anyway, I'm rambling. It's a touchy subject. You're either a believer or a non-believer and based on that, will be the basis for whether or not you'll enjoy this film. I enjoyed it. However, I did find it a little tedious. I knew the story of Jesus and it's as if Pasolini just took everything that he knew, the "popular parts", if you will, and smashed them together into a film. We get all of Jesus' famous teachings and quotes, we get to see him walking on water and the story of the loaves and the fishes. We see the Last Supper, Judas and the thirty pieces of silver and of course, the crucifixion It's all of the things we've all been told & taught and NOTHING more. With stories about Jesus' life, it's kind of a "you've seen one, you've seen them all" kinda' deal. Sure, Pasolini lends an artistic element to his telling, but everything we'd see in any portrayal of Jesus is here.

I've often wondered if atheists could find anything at all in the story of Jesus. IF they don't believe that Jesus actually existed, walked the Earth and was the Son of God, could they at least take the Bible (and more importantly the gospels) as, at least, a good story? Would you dare find one of them saying, "Well that obviously didn't really happen, but that's a damn fine tale if I ever saw one"? I don't know - any atheists care to comment?

RATING: 7/10 I kind of got off topic there, didn't I? As for the film, yes it's good, but again it's nothing more than you'd expect from a Jesus story.

MOVIES WATCHED: 398
MOVIES LEFT TO WATCH:
603

January 14, 2012 8:37pm

6 comments:

  1. ERRrrrr.. right, I have to tread very carefully here,
    I try not to get into arguments, and am always willing to accept other people have views, but you did ask...
    I will put my hand up and confess to the 'curse word' of atheist. If we take the standard meaning of not believing in the standard view of a God, guy with a beard sitting on clouds etc etc.
    But I guess here is not the time or place to follow that line. It was just that you asked...

    Yes, sure the stories in the Bible can make good stories, good films - why not? As can any other religions stories
    Sometimes - and this film is one of them, you can feel 'heard that all before' (or, as you put it, seen one, seen 'em all). I wasn't totally bored, but it did nothing to add to my knowledge of the Biblical stories, and certainly did nothing to convince me as to any truth in them. Equally it did nothing to reinforce my non-religious feelings. (Like Mel Gibson's Gore-fest did- but I will admit to entering that one with some amount of prejudice).
    I'm afraid that Biblical films so often take themselves - and the subject matter to such an extent they become.. well, overblown. Mr. deMille's ramblings are a good example.
    OK, it's far to late for me, and I really don't want to say anything to offend anyone.. I'd best leave it all at that and go to bed!
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Ray, thank you for giving your insight here. I'm not a judgmental guy and I really do appreciate you commenting here. I hope that it was understood that I try not to tend to think of the word "atheist" as a bad word, I was just conveying a personal misconception. I don't thrust my religion upon others, just as I wouldn't expect an atheist to try and talk me out of the existence of God. We'll just call it a day and I'll say that it's very glad to have you back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Andrew!
    I just recently watched this film and wanted to see what you thought about it. I am an atheist with no wish to believe. In fact, (and like both of you will try to tread carefully) I actually feel a sense of relief that there is not an omnipotent force that is choosing to do nothing for so many suffering people. Most atheists I know feel the same way.

    I have never found a religious film I really like (maybe I am forgetting something) not because of my religious beliefs but because of what you said: you see one, you see them all. That's also kind of how I feel about action films too.

    Hope I didn't offend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope, you didn't offend Amanda. Thanks for stopping by and adding to the conversation. It's a touchy subject and honestly, I hate religious films, because I just hate to get into debates. I'd rather just watch something non-confrontational and debate about why Johnny Depp did this or that...or whomever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Amanda, and Andrew...

    Firstly, thank you Andre for never taking offence when either of us reveal our atheism. When I do (and I strongly suspect Amanda will feel the same) we never intend to show disrespect to you or your beliefs, and i appreciate being re-assured by you that I have managed to do that! (I reserve the right to get at the established churches at times!)

    Anyway..

    Just to mention... A couple of days ago I spent the afternoon watching 'The message' (AKA 'Mohammed, messenger of God'), a 3 hour+ multinational epic (Anthony Quinn as Mohammed's side kick) which tried very hard to present a straight bio pic. Hampered somewhat by Islamic belief that The Prophet should never be portrayed.. it was.. OK.
    But it had the same feel of heavy handedness that a big budget MGM epic on - say- the life of Christ would have.. far to referential. You got exactly the same cliches of people just having to look into his eyes to become devoted followers, willing to suffer torture and death .. mystic sunrises with rising music.. cartoon baddies who oppose etc etc.
    But at least I felt I learnt something from 'The message' about history (once I had checked the unbiased side of it out)
    And going totally off Topic.. the same thing when I visited The Jewish museum in Manchester.. being a quiet time, myself and friend got a long personal tour and chat with the volunteer guide answering questions.. A very worthy and educational afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Ray. I'm glad we can find a common ground and discuss these films like adults, without bickering and debating.

      Delete

Sins of Omission - Entry #94: ZODIAC (2007)

Running Time: 157 minutes Directed By: David Fincher  Written By: James Vanderbilt, based on the book by Robert Graysmith Main Cast : Jake...