Tuesday, January 3, 2012

547. SLEUTH (1972)

Running Time: 138 minutes
Directed By: Joseph L. Mankiewicz
Written By: Anthony Shaffer, from his play
Main Cast: Laurence Olivier, Michael Caine
Click here to view the trailer

"THE PLOT, AS THEY SAY, THICKENS!"

Imagine my surprise when a film that I saw ten years ago and one that I've been trying to see again ever since, pops up as a result from my search inquiry on YouTube. Unlike this film, I'm going to spoil my surprise right up front - this film is a full blown '10', if I've ever saw one.

In England, Milo Tindle (Caine) accepts an invitation to visit the manor of Andrew Wyke (Olivier), the husband of the woman that he's been sleeping with. Andrew is a very wealthy author of mystery novels, while Tindle is less wealthy, making his earnings as a hairdresser. The meeting between the two starts out mannerly enough, with proper English pleasantries being tossed about. As the meeting progresses, the atmosphere becomes a little more heated, with Wyke demeaning the name of his wife, Marguerite, only to anger her current lover, Tindle. Eventually, Wyke makes the purpose of his suggested meeting known. Wyke suggests that since Tindle is merely a hairdresser, that he won't be able to provide for Marguerite, the lifestyle that she's come to expect from being married to him, a wealthy author. As far as Wyke is concerned, the marriage is over, as he's taken on a mistress of his own and wants to make sure that Marguerite is out of the picture for good. To ensure that Marguerite doesn't come back, citing that "the hairdresser" can't take care of her, Wyke proposes that Tindle steal a box of jewelry that Wyke keeps in a safe, in his study. The jewels are worth about 200,000 pounds and with them Tindle will be able to continue spoiling Marguerite. Also, Wyke will be able to collect the on the insurance policy that he took out on the jewels, so it's a win-win. Tindle, after some convincing, agrees to Wyke's plan and the two set out to stage a burglary. However, once the stage is set, Wyke has a change of plans.

SPOILER ALERT!

It had to be, at least, ten years ago when I saw "Sleuth" (for the first and only time, prior to tonight) and I can remember being totally blown away by it. Ever since then, I've been perusing Amazon over the years, searching for an affordable copy of this out-of-print film, but to no avail. When I purchased THE BOOK and realized that it was one of the elite 1001, it only gave THE BOOK more validity. Since September 2009, when I started my journey, I've been typing "Sleuth" into the search box at the Turner Movie Classics website, in hopes that they might be showing it and in higher hopes that I'd get to see it again. Again, to no avail I typed, month after month, unable to get lucky enough for them to fit "Sleuth" into their schedule. My recent trek into the "YouTube Files" with "The Man Who Had His Hair Cut Short" got me to thinking - "Maybe, just maybe, "Sleuth" is on YouTube!". Last night I searched it and was ecstatic when I actually found it.

This time around "Sleuth" was an entirely different viewing experience as it was the last time. Granted, it still "wowed" me, but it was different. For starters, my tastes have been refined, so I viewed it in an entirely different way, than I did before. Also, the last time I saw "Sleuth", I fell victim to the twists and turns, not knowing they were coming. I never forgot them. So, I knew about all the twists, but there's still the FANTASTIC acting, great dialogue and intimate atmosphere that are still in place to provide any viewer with a more than suitable cinematic experience. What I wrote above is merely the first act, in what I consider to be a three act play. Speaking of plays, I'm really starting to acquire a likeness for films that are based on stage plays, as they almost always appeal to me (see "12 Angry Men" and "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?").

You know there's really not a lot to say about "Sleuth". It's a excellent movie and the reasons why are very clear. You have Laurence Olivier and Michael Caine, two outstanding actors, duking it out. At first it's Olivier who overwhelms as the outstanding actor, but Caine holds his own and makes a comeback in the second half, showing that he's no slouch. On top of the acting, you've got the superb dialogue, the intimacy of it all and don't forget the twists & turns, which I'm usually a total sucker for. It's one that I really want you all to see, because it's that good. You know the type - you see a film and you immediately wish everyone you know would see it, so you could all gather and gush about it. It's the type of movie that if you've seen it and then you watch it again with someone who hasn't, it really feels like you're watching it for the first time all over again. I'll stop now....but trust me, this is one you wanna' check out!

RATING: 10/10 As far as the TOP 20 goes...the plot, as they say, has just thickened!

MOVIES WATCHED: 384
MOVIES LEFT TO WATCH:
617

January 3, 2012 3:55am

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sins of Omission - Entry #94: ZODIAC (2007)

Running Time: 157 minutes Directed By: David Fincher  Written By: James Vanderbilt, based on the book by Robert Graysmith Main Cast : Jake...