Tuesday, January 17, 2012

UPDATE - January 2012

Well I hope everyone who took the time to read it, enjoyed the latest TOP 20 that was posted last night. I put a lot of effort and thought into the selections that appeared on the list and I think what was produced was a very good showcase of the last 100 films. But what I'm really here to talk about is the next 100 films....and a few other things too.

BERGMAN WEEK

Obviously those of you who are regular visitors to this blog have seen the posters that I've been posting for the past month or so. As we did with the last 100, this 100 films will be kicked off by a particular director - a director who has an abundance of pictures in THE BOOK - and that director is Ingmar Bergman, with a total of ten films in the "1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die" book. I'll be watching them chronologically and "Smiles of a Summer Night" will kick it all off, more than likely tomorrow night.

THE 60s EXPERIMENT

Regular readers may also remember my effort to cram in as many films from the 1960s into my last set of 100 films. This was done in an effort to find more personal favorites from a decade where I didn't have many. Well, the experiment worked, as 15 of the films that made an appearance on the TOP 20 list (including the "Ten Worth Mentioning") were from the 60s. This brings me to my next point of discussion...

40s and 2000s

With the 100 that will kick off with "Bergman Week" and end with 501 films watched, I'll be thickening it up with another decade - in fact, two decades. During the next 100 films, expect to see many films from the 1940s, as well as an equal number of films from the first seven years of the 21st Century. I've also sprinkled in approximately twenty "open spots", which will be used to allow me to wander around a little bit, when/if I feel restricted to a schedule. This plan worked really well for #302 - #401, so I have no doubt that this will be a good way to continue on.

I want to reiterate that I WILL NOT be watching EVERY film from the 40s and 2000s, simply a large number of each, in an effort to find more personal favorites from those two decades.

HAWKS, WELLES, ANDERSON, LORD OF THE RINGS

In addition to "Bergman Week", also during this 100, expect tributes to Howard Hawks, Orson Welles, "A Double Shot of (Wes) Anderson" and the completion of one of the two major trilogies from THE BOOK, "The Lord of the Rings", which IS included as ONE ENTRY.

BLOG MAINTENANCE

I was toying with the idea of moving to WordPress or possibly even simply changing the template for THIS blog, but I struck both ideas from the record. I'm happy where I am now and Blogger provides me with everything I need to write about movies. I am, however, going to be going back through all the old posts and doing some slight corrections (spacing issues on certain posts, fixing minor errors, etc.) and adding in pictures to the reviews that don't already have one. I didn't start doing the pictures thing until "Midnight Cowboy", so I have quite a few films that need a visual aid.

Also note that the "TOP 20" page (linked above) has been updated to include the latest batch of TOP 20 recipients (including "Ten Worth Mentioning"). Also, pictures have been added to that page as well, depicting scenes from the four movies that have nabbed the top spot of my four TOP 20 lists.

TEMPORARY HIATUS.....NOT YET

I'M NOT GOING ON HIATUS YET, but expect one soon. I've been churning out these reviews nice and steady since October and I think it's nearly time to take a break. Don't worry though, I'd like to be at least fifteen or so movies into the next 100 before I do that.

Well that's about all I have for you tonight. Again, I hope those of you who are taking the time to read my reviews are enjoying them. Remember, I'm no writer, nor have I ever claimed to be. I'm simply a man who likes movies and enjoys writing his thoughts. To the new followers I've attained in the past couple of weeks, I thank you and welcome you. And to the older followers, I thank you too. Anyone and everyone who has left comments, you also get a big thanks from yours truly. Hey, don't forget that I can be found on the popular social networking sites - my information is as followed:

Twitter: @adduvall84
Facebook by clicking here

P.S. On my Facebook you won't find a lot of updates from me, besides links to the reviews that I write, when I write them, however, you will find a butt-load of pictures of actresses, actors and directors I've either discovered or rediscovered by watching the films from THE BOOK.

January 16, 2012 9:55pm

2 comments:

  1. Hi there.. sorry to use a comment box for this.. but I am having a problem making comments. If I am the first in the box, no problem, all is as usual.. but if there is already a comment, when I click, all I get is a white space. The computer hasn't frozen or overloaded or something, and I can easily use 'go back one space' command to get back to where I was, but I'm unable to look what other people have to say, or even look what you reply to my reply. This has only happened over the last few days.. say 4 or 5 at the most. Any idea if you have altered anything at your end?
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I haven't altered anything Ray. Not sure what the problem could be, but keep me posted and if it persists I'll see if there's anything I can do. Reply here if you're able to see this.

    ReplyDelete

Sins of Omission - Entry #94: ZODIAC (2007)

Running Time: 157 minutes Directed By: David Fincher  Written By: James Vanderbilt, based on the book by Robert Graysmith Main Cast : Jake...