Tuesday, May 22, 2012

444. Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! (1965)

Running Time: 83 minutes
Directed By: Russ Meyer
Written By: Russ Meyer, Jack Moran
Main Cast: Tura Satana, Haji, Lori Williams, Susan Bernard, Stuart Lancaster
Click here to view the trailer

VIOLENT, VOLUPTUOUS VIXENS

Today I bring you, yet another YouTube post, as another "unfound" film bites the dust and I drag myself one step closer to my short-term goal of the halfway mark and my next TOP 20. Because this movie is available on YouTube, it means you can all go and watch it on your own, for free, but I'd advise against that.


Our main characters are, in fact, very violent, VERY voluptuous and are indeed vixens. Varla (Satana) Rosie (Haji) and Billie (Williams) are three go-go dancers who venture out one day in search of thrills. They drive fast cars and know how to get their motors running. When they're racing around a deserted area of land, they encounter a young couple, of which the male also takes pride in his fast car. After doing some bragging about how fast he can go, the women challenge him to a race. The race ends in shenanigans and Varla ends up challenging the stud to a fight, in which she kills him with her bare hands. The guy's girlfriend, Linda (Bernard), looks on in horror and our three vixens know that they must capture her and keep her quiet. Later, the four girls make their way to the home of an old, rich man and his two sons, where they plan to rob them. They make up a story about Linda, to cover their tracks and go about the rest of the film, seducing the men, trying to learn the whereabouts of the old man's loot and trying to keep Linda's mouth shut.


This is yet another example of THE BOOK including a film simply because we must have one of it's kind. It's a Russ Meyer film and Meyer was, of course, famous for using big breasted women and became a cult icon in the world of filmmaking. But MUST we see one of his films because of this, even if said film is awful? I don't think so. Now before I go and rip this film to shreds, I will give some credit where it's due. I realize the entire appeal of this film, released in the mid-60s, was to show off a few hot dames and get grown men to shell out good money to watch Tura Satana execute the task of trying to keep her breasts in her top. So I'll give Meyer credit for, at least, attempting to provide serious movie goers with some semblance of a plot. It's not a particularly great one, but it's there and it, for the most part, makes sense. I also realize you can't really judge this film on the same scale as all other films, because it was never meant to be anything more than eye candy. It's one of those films that the people who like it, probably like it because it's so bad it's appealing. They're probably into mouthy, violent women who drive cars and get into scuffles with men. I'll admit that, at times, I could see the appeal, but in the end, it just wasn't my bag.


And was it just me or did Tarantino totally rip this movie off when he made "Death Proof"? Especially the second half of "Death Proof", which features three women who know how to handle their automobiles, hunting down and laying an ass whooping on an evil man. I never liked "Death Proof" either and in fact, it was the Tarantino movie that forced me to re-think me appreciation for Tarantino.

RATING: 4/10  That's all I really have to say, so I'll stop there. This had no right being in a book that excluded such great films as "Dial M for Murder" and "Life is Beautiful"...to name a few.

MOVIES WATCHED: 460
MOVIES LEFT TO WATCH:
541

May 22, 2012  6:53pm

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like Rocky Horror Picture Show (wait until you have to watch that one), incredibly overrated and unfunny/uncharming cult classic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually already watched that one Lowes. I was able to find good things in that one and actually ended up enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete

Sins of Omission - Entry #94: ZODIAC (2007)

Running Time: 157 minutes Directed By: David Fincher  Written By: James Vanderbilt, based on the book by Robert Graysmith Main Cast : Jake...