Tuesday, November 20, 2012

793. Rain Man (1988)


Running Time: 133 minutes
Directed By: Barry Levinson
Written By: Ronald Bass, Barry Morrow
Main Cast: Dustin Hoffman, Tom Cruise, Valeria Golino, Jerry Molen, Ralph Seymour
Click here to view the trailer

LEVINSON WEEK: THE CONCLUSION

Right on schedule and just like I announced, two days after it began, "Levinson Week" is already ready to conclude with the watching of "Rain Man" - easily Barry Levinson's best film from THE BOOK and probably his all-time best film.


Charlie Babbitt (Cruise) is a used car salesman who, while on his way to Palm Springs with his girlfriend Susanna (Golino), is given the news that his father has died and is summoned to the funeral and will reading. Charlie had a falling out with his father when he was a teenager and hasn't spoken to him since, but shows up to the reading of the will to see if he was included. At the reading, it is announced that Charlie was given his father's classic Buick Roadmaster and his prized rose bushes. However, his father's $3 million estate was trusted to Wallbrook Mental Institution, so Charlie visits them to find out why. Once there, Charlie learns that one of the patients is actually his brother, whom he never knew he had. His name is Raymond Babbitt (Hoffman) and he's autistic. After spending a few hours with him, Charlie decides to take Raymond with him, without permission, so that he can fight for legal custody of him and hopefully be named the new beneficiary to Raymond's $3 million. Charlie and Raymond take off for Los Angeles, with Raymond fighting Charlie all the way. Raymond is used to certain routine and when that is disrupted he gets antsy, to say the least. When Raymond refuses to fly, Charlie has no other choice but to spend three days in the Buick with Raymond, driving cross country to L.A.. Over the course of the three days, the brother's bond.


 SPOILER ALERT!

I mean, seriously, who the fuck doesn't like Rain Man? The first time I saw "Rain Man" I caught it near the end (somewhere around the hearing at the end, when the doctor asks Ray if he wants to return to Wallbrook or go with Charlie) and just by seeing that little bit, I knew it was something that I'd end up loving, if I ever got to see the whole thing. I eventually did see the whole thing...many times and enjoy it every time I watch it. Why? Mostly because of Dustin Hoffman's performance as Raymond Babbitt. I mean, when you can completely transform yourself into a totally different person, with absolutely no traces of your real self to be found, it's uncanny and amazing and after watching this, there's no denying the abilities and talents of The Hoff. But you know what? I also really like Tom Cruise in this. He, without a doubt, holds his own next to the superstar Dustin Hoffman, knows his part and plays it well. In fact, I just like Tom Cruise - call it a guilty pleasure if you want, but there's just something about the guy that makes me want to pay attention to him. Granted, I hated "Top Gun" earlier this season, but I wouldn't say that was particularly his fault.


The film is your classic piece of Hollywood fodder, but even Hollywood nails it on the head every now and then. In the case of Barry Levinson, I'd say he fell ass backwards into this one and I credit none of my love for this film to him. I have to applaud Hollywood too, for not going with a happy ending. They could've easily had Raymond develop more of an attachment to Charlie, but instead they keep him true to character - a man who doesn't get emotionally attached. I liked that. It made the ending a little more sad. I think we'd all like Raymond to break down, when he boards the train and want to stay with Charlie, but the right call was made and it works out really well.

RATING: 9/10  I just can't go '10', just because. I have nothing special or interesting to say about Barry Levinson so I'll skip my usual "A Word or Two About the Director" thing and just say that I'm kind of glad "Levinson Week" had ended. But seriously, who the fuck doesn't like Rain Man?

MOVIES WATCHED: 584
MOVIES LEFT TO WATCH: 417

November 20, 2012  6:17pm

1 comment:

  1. I don't know who doesn't like Rain Man :).
    I loved it! -Sandra

    ReplyDelete

Sins of Omission - Entry #94: ZODIAC (2007)

Running Time: 157 minutes Directed By: David Fincher  Written By: James Vanderbilt, based on the book by Robert Graysmith Main Cast : Jake...