Wednesday, November 14, 2012

811. beiqing chengshi/A City of Sadness (1989)


Running Time: 157 minutes
Directed By: Hsiao-hsien Hou
Written By: T'ien-wen Chu, Nien-Jen Wu
Main Cast: Tony Leung Chiu-Wai, Sung Young Chen, Jack Kao, Xin Shufen, Wu Yi-Fang
Click here to view the trailer

HOU HSIAO-HSIEN HAT TRICK: PART TWO OF THREE

Well it's taken me a few days to get back here, but finally I've made it and am ready to bring you the second installment in the "HOU Hat Trick". Normally, this is the time in the season where I start moving at rapid speed, but I'm not there yet, so bear with me.


"A City of Sadness" is set in Taiwan, during a transition period in the governmental status and something known as the "White Terror". The film centers around three brothers: the deaf photographer Wen-ching (Leung), Wen-leung (Kao), who is back from the war and insane and Wen-heung (Chen), the eldest. There is also a fourth brother, Wen-Sun, whom we only hear about, as he was lost in the Philippines during the war. There's also a man character in the form of a nurse named Hinomi (Shufen), who befriends Wen-ching, ultimately falling in love with him. There's also a side-plot which shows Wen-leung recuperating from his madness, only to be lured into a life of organized crime.

You know what, I'm just going to leave it at that, because I'll be damned if I could make heads or tails of this movie. It's really hard for me to admit when I just can't understand what's going on in a movie, even though I really tried to make sense of it all. In fact, I started "A City of Sadness" on Sunday night, but could only make it to the thirty minute mark. When I sat down to resume on Monday night, I decided to re-start at the beginning, fearing I was too tired and may have missed key elements. I really tried, RINGO!! You know what the real disappointing thing is though - not that I simply didn't like the movie, a movie that is supposed to be "must see" - but the fact that EVERYTHING, aside from the plot, was spot on. The music, the acting, the cinematography and not only the cinematography, but I love how Hou leaves his camera stationary, making us feel like onlookers to the story. Literally EVERYTHING else about "A City of Sadness, besides the plot, was perfect, I kid you not. Take one of my favorite movie's "Sideways", for instance. Lets say that instead of taking a scandalous trip through wine country, Jack and Miles were instead, caught up in a military coup, struggling for their freedom and all that jazz. If I left the theater after watching THAT version of "Sideways", I'm sure I'd be saying, "Why couldn't they have just driven through wine country, had some affairs and learned a few lessons?" That's what "A City of Sadness" was like. I just wished we could've examined these characters in more relatable situations, other than historical and political importances that I have no prior knowledge of.


On a side note, the Taiwanese people (and probably the Japanese too) have a very fascinating way of drinking tea. I don't know what they're doing, but it involves pouring water (presumably water) from a large tea pot into a basin and then pouring tea from a tiny tea pot into tea cups. It's all very fascinating and while we're on the subject, if I'm ever rich, I want a Japanese style house! I have an insatiable desire to eat while sitting Indian style and still be sitting at the table! Oh and if I get the Japanese house, you're all invited, but please...please leave your shoes at the doorstep!


RATING: 5.5/10  I probably shouldn't even go that high, but like I said, everything else was so spot on, that I can hardly give it a below average rating. At this point, I'm really not looking forward to "The Puppet Master".

MOVIES WATCHED: 577
MOVIES LEFT TO WATCH: 424

November 14, 2012  5:56pm

2 comments:

  1. Ok, by far the best of the 3 Hsiao Hsien films... but I'm afraid I have to very much agree with you.. so very difficult to follow the story. I was decidedly not helped by the subtitles on my copy.. for speach they were.. well, ok may just do as a description.. but nothing written was translated.. so I have no idea what the deaf brother said all movie.. and what was obviously an important letter (I could tell by the music and the mothers face/body language).. sorry, I will never know. Quite a hole in the narrative I guess.
    Spot on with you about everything else. There is a fantastic film in there.. but I need theextensive film notes booklet explaining a few background points to me.
    Oh I do know a bit about the tea.. or at least how some middle east cultures do.. I have had it in Turkey. Yes, they make a brew of very high strength tea, and when you want some, they add the hot water.
    Ray

    ReplyDelete

Sins of Omission - Entry #94: ZODIAC (2007)

Running Time: 157 minutes Directed By: David Fincher  Written By: James Vanderbilt, based on the book by Robert Graysmith Main Cast : Jake...